Friday 9 January 2015

Best day in Thailand!!

7/1/2015 Sorry I didn’t blog yesterday but it was so hectic I hardly had the time.





Yesterday started at 7am on a bus and heading to the Kings Royal Summer Palace. Here we met with an amazing historian who showed us around. It was beautiful to see the palace and to hear how the movie ‘The King and I’ was based on a true story and the Young Prince in the movie is actually the current King of Thailand's grandfather (or was it great grandfather?). This fact I found really interesting as I love the movie though the Thai’s believe that Mrs. Anna (the English governess) fabricated a lot of the story as in their stories the King wouldn’t stomp around bellowing out “etcetera, etcetera, etcetera”. We got to see where the Kings favourite wives lived                             as back in King Rama the 4th he had a lot of wives and apparently over 50 children.








After the Royal Summer Palace we made our way to a museum where we could learn all about the Dutch trading with Thailand, how it came about, why it came about and why it continued. This I did find interesting though not nearly as interesting as the Summer Palace. The fact that it was nearing on 11am and we hadn’t had a chance to have breakfast yet may have contributed to the fact I was more interested in finding coffee. I also took this time to contact my parents to see how they are and that they’re enjoying a nice holiday where dad is managing to catch fish (if you know my family you’ll know this is a rare occasion).

After lunch my mood picked up and again became extremely interested in Elephant Riding which was our next activity. There isn’t much to say about elephant riding, apart from elephants are large, walk slow, like to spay water on themselves and us on top of them and are very fun to ride :D


After the elephants we went off to Ayutthaya: The Ancient City of Thailand. It was stunning to see all the different ruins to see how the Burmese came through Thailand and destroyed it. The main things they destroyed apart from the buildings were all the Buddhas. Ayutthaya had so many Buddhas which are now headless as the Burmese would storm through and decapitate majority of them. The only ones I personally saw with heads still one were really big and the Burmese probably couldn’t decapitate them. Our amazing Historian tour guide (I’m sorry I cannot remember his name) was still with us at this point and was able to tell us some really intriguing stories of Ayutthaya.



This brought us to what I thought was the end of a long day as we got back to Mahidol Campus at about 6pm but that I found was where my really true experience of Thailand started. I strongly believe that sometimes the best experiences are the most spontaneous ones, this was the truth last night!

We couldn’t decide on a place for dinner so Prem came up with a plan to go to his friends parents restaurant. Prem is a student at Mahidol University and came to UC last year as part of an exchange program, he has been with us majority of the week and is extremely nice.  At first I was a bit sceptical as Prem took us down ally ways, around corners and down some more ally ways just to come to this really small place where he smiled and said “here we are”. The saying don’t judge a book by it’s cover was this place to a t. It looked small and not very interesting but when we got inside (a few of us decided to be really authentic and eat dinner on the floor) it was such an amazing place. It is hard to describe a place like this, it felt like home cooking with Prems friends mother running around giving us salads and cooking from a portable gas cooker out the front of the room. After my amazing teriyaki chicken and trying a little bit of my friends grilled lemongrass chicken (both were aroy mak mak!!) I went out with Birian to help/observe the cooking. The food at this place was delicious (aroy!!) but I don’t think that was the highlight for me, the hospitality at Thai Grill (that’s the name of the place) was the best. Prems friends mother (I really need to get her name) was so lovely and nice, she was easy to talk to and taught me how to cook a few really good meals just by a running commentary while cooking. She offered me to stay to learn more but sadly I couldn’t but her hug as we were leaving was so nice that I really want to go back and see her again which makes me think I have to come back to Thailand (not just for her though).



I know this blog is long but Thai Grill is an absolute must if you come over here. The authentic experience is way better than any touristy attraction I think. To top a now wonderful day off a few of us stopped by a gelato shop on the way home where we had some amazing ice cream with alcohol in it.

If you’re still reading this blog then thank you, I promise this will be the longest blog (hopefully)


Anna xx

No comments:

Post a Comment